Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Corset Chat
 Corset Forum and Chat : Corset Related Chat : Corset Chat
Message Icon Topic: what do corsets mean to you? Post Reply Post New Topic
Jaye

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jaye Replybullet Topic: what do corsets mean to you?
    Posted: 15 June 2008 at 3:05pm
I am currently writing a dissertation for my final year of University and I have chosen to write about the corset. My aim is to investigate what the current uses of the corset as a garment are today and what connotations it may hold. I found a good quote from someone writing about the influence of Jean Paul Gaultier's fashion corsetry which has formed the basis of my title:

'A symbol of "Frailty, oppression and conformity ... (or) autonomy and control"?
An evaluation of the contemporary roles and connotations of female corsetry.'

I am very enthusiastic to find out what the opinions of those who wear corsets today are on the topic which would really help with my research.

Therefore I was wondering if you could tell me for what purposes you wear a corset and whether you think the corset has any symbolic meaning? 

In you opinion what are the main connotations placed on the corset in contemporary society today?

Thank you very much for your help.
IP IP Logged
Victorianlacing

Quote Victorianlacing Replybullet Posted: 16 June 2008 at 11:23am
I think in this modern age the corset represents so many aspects which is why iit is so popular. The very act of dressing in a corset takes so much time it is never an item put on without thought or action. The very act of lacing can be foreplay or preperation for the time to come. I think over the past years it has become even more of a fetish item in the mainstream than any other item of clothing.

For corset stories exploring the corset please have a look at www.totcdesign.com.

Phil
Unless you have tried it you will never know!
IP IP Logged
Kirsty

Quote Kirsty Replybullet Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:40pm
I wear corsets for waist reduction - not drastic, just to make me feel more feminine and for discipline.  I know whenever I put a corset on it will look fantastic and it is an instant confidence boost I feel.

When I mentioned discipline I was generally referring to general day to day activities which require moving in a more refined and specific way in order to accommodate for the corset. 

I find that although corsets are more mainstream, people still do not understand proper corsetry and still view the cheap tat in high street stores as corsets.  Also I tend to find that people who wear these garments are insistent that corsets are painful and you cannot breathe while wearing them, whereas those who wear proper corsets don't tend to say anything of the sort.  I'm not sure of the relevance of this to what you are asking, but I generally find that within society so I figured it might have something relevant.

IP IP Logged
Lazagna Ampersa

Quote Lazagna Ampersa Replybullet Posted: 14 December 2008 at 7:24pm
Exactly, I find it means different things to people depending greatly on if they're the one inside the corset or not. People who are experienced in wearing them see them as beautiful and comfortable, and often feel empowered by them. But others who just see them on other people are quick to assume they're still a symbol of female oppression and can't possibly be comfortable or healthy.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version