Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Coffee Shop
 Corset Forum and Chat : Corset Related Chat : Coffee Shop
Message Icon Topic: Sewing machine help? Post Reply Post New Topic
EveRose

Online Status: Offline
Quote EveRose Replybullet Topic: Sewing machine help?
    Posted: 19 February 2009 at 1:47pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice relating to my sewing machine. It was working fine the day before yesterday, but then it went silly yesterday for a reason that I haven't been able to work out.

The stitches are coming out all different lengths. It's not likely to be the thread I'm using, because I always use the same type of thread (Guterman), and I've tried changing the needle. I've tried altering the thread tension, and I've rethreaded the spool and the bobbin about a million times now, but nothing is making a difference. I'm not sewing a particularly heavy or particularly light fabric (it's a medium weight polyester) and I'm not pulling the fabric while sewing...so...I'm lost as to what could be wrong?

If anyone is able to help, I'd be really grateful!

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
JennTG
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JennTG Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2009 at 3:40pm
Sounds to me like it could use a little maintenance, a good cleaning with a compressed air canister and a drop or two of oil might be all it needs.  
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 19 February 2009 at 11:17pm
Thank you for replying. I haven't had my sewing machine very long, so I would be surprised if it needed maintenance already...I don't know. I checked inside and it seemed very clean. How often should I clean it?

I tried rewinding the bobbin (which was ready-wound, so I was concerned that it wasn't wound evenly), and I adjusted the thread tension. This seemed to improve the situation slightly. The stitches, although still running at different lengths, now have more normal-length ones than long ones.

Still...it shouldn't be doing this, and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out what's gone wrong!

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
andy

Quote andy Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 12:20am
Did you adjust the bobbin tension? Are the feed dogs clean? Is the machine oiled?
IP IP Logged
JennTG
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JennTG Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 1:36am
Eve if your machine isn't very old then it's doubtful it needs cleaning or oiling unless you use it several hours a day for weeks on end. Still it can't hurt to blow it out once in a while even if it looks clean and keeping it oiled will prolong it's life. Is it still under warranty? If not I'd go back to where you bought it and tell them you are having problems or email the manufacturer and ask what could be wrong. Good luck.
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 12:10pm
It could well be the bobbin tension...but I don't know if that can be adjusted on my machine! I know there is a dial for adjusting spool thread tension...but there doesn't appear to be a seperate dial for adjusting bobbin tension...hmm...

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
andy

Quote andy Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:36pm
What sewing machine do you have?
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:48pm
It's called "Sew Easy" and it was bought from Dunelm Mill. It was pretty cheap, but I'll be most annoyed if it has conked out in just two months.

I checked the manual, and it says that the bobbin tension shouldn't need adjusting on this machine. Consequently, there is no dial for this function...and I suppose that's why I didn't know how to do that!

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
andy

Quote andy Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 4:20pm
bobbin tension is usually adjusted with a screw in the bobbin holder. It's a delicate, rarely done operation.

IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 20 February 2009 at 4:56pm
Oh, well I found that, and I took a screwdriver to it and tried to turn it. It wouldn't turn in either direction....I don't know what that implies, but it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Hmm....

EDIT: I tested the thread I'm using and the machine itself on a scrap of a different fabric, and it seemed to work well...leading me to believe that it's a problem of thread tension. However, if it is such a problem, then it's one I am unable to correct. My thread tension dial runs from 0 to 9, and none of the settings seem to be making it work correctly. The stitches are still running at different lengths!

xxx Eve

Edited by EveRose - 20 February 2009 at 10:07pm
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 22 February 2009 at 5:07pm
I don't know what's going on, but the offending sewing machine appears to have fixed itself. All of a sudden, it decided it was going to work!

If it's going to be this temperamental, it might be time for an upgrade...

EDIT: Nope, it has returned to it's status as a non-functional sewing machine.  I'm calling the shop tomorrow to see if I can exchange it for a better model on the grounds that this one is a heap of crap!

xxx Eve

Edited by EveRose - 22 February 2009 at 7:16pm
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2009 at 4:17pm
I returned my sewing machine, and bought a Janome DM1000 in its place. Apparently the problem I had with my last one is a common problem with that make and model...but hopefully this one will be better!

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
JennTG
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JennTG Replybullet Posted: 23 February 2009 at 4:23pm
I love happy endings. Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
EveRose

Quote EveRose Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2009 at 12:39am
A very happy ending it is, too- my new sewing machine sews literally twice as quickly, and with half the noise! It's an absolute dream to use. Hopefully, with this and my new corsetry book, I'll be sewing myself a corset in no time!

xxx Eve
IP IP Logged
JennTG
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JennTG Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2009 at 1:00am
That's even better news. I've found it's always best to spend a little extra on appliances and things because in the long run you get what you pay for. Good luck making your corset...I'm jealous!  LOL
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version